$7,000 IN CASH AWARDS!
Literary competition categories:
- Fiction—Short stories only (2,500 words maximum)
- Nonfiction—Article or essay (2,500 words maximum)
- Poetry—(Up to three poems per entry, not to exceed five pages total per entry)
- One-Act Play—(Professional format required; limited to fifteen pages, double-spaced)
Deadline: Entries must be postmarked by February 11, 2022. Entrants will be notified by e-mail or by postcard (included with entry form) when entries are received.
Permission: By entering, winners grant permission to the Morris Museum of Art for publication or readings related to the competition and awards ceremony.
Who can enter: Writers ages 18 and older who reside in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
$15 per entry for fiction, nonfiction, one-act play, and poetry. (For poetry, one entry can include up to three poems.) Make checks (no money orders or cash) payable to Morris Museum of Art.
Literary competition guidelines:
• Entrant’s name must not appear on the manuscript.
• Mail two (2) copies of each entry, and an entry form for each copy, with the fee, attached on the top copy (or pay fee online).
• Entries for fiction, nonfiction, and one-act plays must be typed, double-spaced, on 8 1⁄2” x 11” paper, with 1” margins, in Times New Roman, 12-pt. type. Poems may be single-spaced.
• All entries must be original, previously unpublished in print or online media, and not accepted by any publisher at the time they are entered. Manuscripts previously submitted to the Porter Fleming Literary Competition may not be resubmitted.
• On all entries, add the title of your work at the top of the first page, print on one side only, and do not use staples.
• Include your e-mail address if you wish to be notified when your entries have been received.
• Winners will be announced spring 2022 on the Porter Fleming Literary Competition website, www.themorris.org/porterfleming.
OR, pay by personal check:
Make checks payable to the Morris Museum of Art. No money orders or cash accepted.
Winners will be announced in April 2022 on the website.
Submissions that do not meet these guidelines will be disqualified.
Mail entry forms and fees by February 11, 2022 to:
Morris Museum of Art
1 Tenth Street, Augusta, GA 30901
Attn: Brenda Hall
Deadline to enter:
Entries must be postmarked by February 11, 2022. Entrants will be notified by email when entries are received.