$7,000 IN CASH AWARDS
Literary competition categories
- Fiction—Short stories only (2,500 words maximum)
- Nonfiction—Article or essay (2,500 words maximum)
- Poetry—(Up to three poems per entry, not to exceed five pages total per entry)
- One-Act Play—(Professional format required; limited to fifteen pages, double-spaced)
Deadline: Entries must be postmarked by February 12, 2019. Entrants will be notified by e-mail or by postcard (included with entry form) when entries are received.
Permission: By entering, winners grant permission to the Morris Museum of Art for publication or readings related to the competition and awards ceremony.
Who can enter: Writers ages 18 and older who reside in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina., and Tennessee.
$15 per entry for fiction, nonfiction, one-act play, and poetry. (For poetry, one entry can include up to three poems.) Make checks (no money orders or cash) payable to Morris Museum of Art.
Literary competition guidelines:
- Entrant’s name must not appear on the manuscript. Each entry will be assigned a number prior to judging.
- Submit three (3) copies of each entry, and an entry form for each copy. Failure to submit copies will result in disqualification.
- Entries in fiction and nonfiction must be typed, double-spaced, on 8 ½” x 11” paper, with 1” margins, in Times New roman,12-pt. type. Poems may be single spaced.
- All entries must be original, previously unpublished in print or online media, and not accepted by any publisher at the time they are entered. Manuscripts previously submitted to the Porter Fleming Literary Competition may not be resubmitted.
- Submit as many entries in as many categories as you wish by February 12, 2019. (Remember: each poetry entry may include up to three poems but may not exceed five pages total per entry.)
- For each entry, submit three copies, three entry forms, and the fee, attached on the top copy.
- Include your email address if you wish to be notified when your entries have been received.
Winners will be announced in April 2019 on the website.
Submissions that do not meet these guidelines will be disqualified.
Mail entry forms and fees by February 12, 2019 to:
Morris Museum of Art
Porter Fleming Literary Competition
1 Tenth Street, Augusta, GA 30901
Attn: Brenda Hall
Deadline to enter:
Entries must be postmarked by February 12, 2019. Entrants will be notified by email when entries are received.